The journey of personal development is an ongoing process of constant learning. It gives you the opportunity to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses and to work on them. I have come across so many definitions of personal development, but my favorite is:
Personal Development is the conscious pursuit of personal growth by expanding self-awareness and knowledge and improving personal skills. It refers to those activities that will improve your talents, potential, consciousness and your ability to realize your dreams and create the wealth you desire. In short, personal development is what you do to improve yourself and your prospects in life
Why is Personal Development Important?
Personal development is important because it enables you to gain clarity, which in turn gives you a clear idea as to what or where you want to be in the next few months or years. Once you know your target and destination in life it makes it easy for you to draw up a plan on how you will achieve your goals.
Personal development enables you to sharpen your existing skills. Learning and growing are the blueprints of personal development. It enables you to sharpen your skills by focusing on developing areas of weakness so this way you are able to:
Seizing learning opportunities
Reflecting on the past and learning from those experiences
Personal development creates time and space for you to shine. Its a place where you are able to discover your hidden talents and above all, personal development will enable you to:
“Investing in yourself is the best investment you will ever make. It will not only improve your life, it will improve the lives of all those around you.” ~ Robin Sharma
Improve effectiveness in whatever you are aspiring to do
- Improve effectiveness in whatever you are aspiring to do
- Drives motivation and satisfaction
- Builds confidence
- Are the key ingredients for happiness
When you intend to embark on the journey of personal development, you need to keep in mind the following steps:
- Establish which goals you want to reach in all the areas of your life and why?
- Look for the weaknesses that need improvement in order for you to reach these goals
- Identify the different opportunities to develop the weaknesses
- Set up your plan of action for improving the weaknesses
- Make time for nurturing your strengths
- Recording the outcomes of your development is very important because this way you are able to celebrate the success
- Evaluate your outcomes against your goals